Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Benefits

Compensation and/or Pension

E-mail Print PDF
Article Index
Compensation and/or Pension
Vocational Rehabilitation
Education Benefits
All Pages

Filling out a VA Form 21-526, Veteran’s Application for Compensation and/or Pension

The information below lists things you’ll need to prepare for filling out your application and evidence you’ll need to mail separately as supporting documentation.

VA Form 21-526

Information to Prepare Answers

Evidence to Send VA

1. Active Duty, Reserve Duty or National Guard Duty information

  • dates and places you entered and left duty
  • mailing addresses of units you served in
2. List of military benefits you receive and amounts

Your DD214 or other separation papers for all periods of service unless you are filing a Benefits Delivery at Discharge or Quick Start claim while on active duty or full-time duty.

Click here for VA's Predischarge Program website.

3.  List of disabilities you are claiming, including

  • treatment dates in service
  • name and address of the medical facility
4.  Information about any exposures that caused the disabilities you are claiming, including dates that you were exposed

Copies of medical records you have

Medical evidence showing you currently have this disability

Medical evidence indicating that the disability was caused by or arose during your active service

If you are filing a Benefits Delivery at Discharge or Quick Start claim, you must send a copy, or original, of your service treatment records to the specified Regional Office to process your claim.  Please call toll-free 1-800-827-1000 for the address to send your service treatment records.

5.  Information about your current spouse, including his/her Social Security number (and VA file number if he/she is a veteran)

6.  Information about you and your spouse’s previous marriages including dates and places of those marriages and the dates and places those marriages ended

7.  Information about the children who live with you, including their names, Social Security numbers, dates and places of birth

8.  Information about children not living with you, including their names, dates and places of birth, Social Security numbers, and amounts that you contribute in child support for them

Copies of your marriage certificate and all divorce decrees (May be required in some cases)

Copies of the public birth records for each child you claim as a dependent (May be required in some cases)

Copies of the court records for adoption for each adopted child

9.  Information about your training and employment history for the past year, including

  • name and address of employers
  • beginning and ending dates of employment

10.  Information about your nursing home, if you live in one

11.  Information about your net worth and your dependents’ net worth

12.  Information about your recurring income and your dependents’ recurring income

13.  Information about income you and your dependents expect to receive in the next 12 months

Current medical evidence telling us about your disabilities

If you are in a nursing home, attach a statement signed by an official of the nursing home that includes

  • date you were admitted to a nursing home
  • your level of care in the nursing home

Your nursing home payment status, which is Medicaid coverage or private pay




Last Updated on Sunday, 22 August 2010 22:28  

Did you know?

A veteran’s family must request a United States flag.

A flag is provided at no cost to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased veteran. Generally, the flag is given to the next of kin. Only one flag may be provided per veteran. Upon the request of the family, an “Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes” (VA Form 21-2008) must be submitted along with a copy of the veteran’s discharge papers. Flags may be obtained from VA regional offices and most U.S. Post Offices.