Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home VA Life Insurance Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI)

Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI)

E-mail Print PDF

Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI)

S-DVI is a life insurance benefit for Veterans who have service-connected disabilities who are otherwise in good health. S-DVI is available in a variety of permanent plans as well as term insurance.


To obtain S-DVI, you must meet the following criteria:

  • VA granted service connection for any disability (even if evaluated at zero percent), AND
  • You applied within two years from the date VA notified you of that new service-connected disability, AND
  • You are in good health, except for any service-connected conditions.

An increase in an existing service-connected disability or the granting of individual unemployability of a previous rated condition does not entitle a Veteran to S-DVI.


S-DVI policies are issued for a maximum face amount of $10,000.

Supplemental S-DVI

Supplemental S-DVI is additional supplemental insurance coverage if:

  • You have an S-DVI policy, AND
  • VA is waiving the premiums on your basic coverage due to total disability, AND
  • You apply for Supplemental S-DVI within one year of being notified of the waiver, AND
  • You are under 65 years of age

The insured has up to one year after being notified of his/her eligibility for waiver on the basic policy to apply. No waiver of premiums due to total disability can be granted on Supplemental S-DVI coverage.


The premium you pay for S-DVI coverage depends on your age, type of plan (term or permanent), and the amount of coverage. If you are a Veteran eligible for basic S-DVI coverage and are totally disabled, then you may apply to have your premiums waived.

How to Apply

Veterans who are granted service-connection for a disability will receiveVA form 29-4364, Application For Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance, along with their Notice of Disability Rating. You must apply within two years from the date VA notifies you that you have been granted a new service-connected disability. You may also apply for S-DVI online.

To apply for Supplemental S-DVI, you must file VA Form 29-0188, Application for Supplemental Service-Disabled Veterans (RH) Life Insurance or send a letter requesting this insurance over your signature. You must apply for the coverage within one year from being notified by VA of your S-DVI premium waiver.