Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home VA Pension Compensation and Pension Pre-Discharge Program

Compensation and Pension Pre-Discharge Program

E-mail Print PDF

The Pre-Discharge Program is a joint Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) program that affords service members the opportunity to file claims for disability compensation up to 180 days prior to separation or retirement from active duty or full time National Guard or Reserve duty (Titles 10 and 32).

The four components of the Pre-Discharge Program are:

  • Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD)
  • Quick Start
  • Disability Evaluation System (Pilot program)
  • Seriously Injured/Very Seriously Injured (SI/VSI)

While in the Pre-Discharge Program, members may also apply for other VA benefits, such as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, Education, and Loan Guaranty.

BDD and Quick Start are available nationwide and open to all service members on full time, active duty to include members of the National Guard and Reserves. Members of the Coast Guard may also participate. The process can begin at a military installation/intake site or VA Regional Office.

Two overseas military installations have processes in place to accept BDD claims: South Korea and Germany.

In order to expedite processing of your claim, call the toll-free number, 1-800-827-1000, to obtain the address to send a copy or original of service treatment records.

Visit the VA Returning Service Members (OEF/OIF) homepage for additional information, including resources for family and outreach activities, for returning service members.

VA Benefits in Brief is a printable document that provides an at-a-glance description of VA benefits, as well as contact phone numbers and locations.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 August 2010 07:40  

Did you know?

The issuance or replacement of military service medals, awards and decorations must be requested in writing.

Requests should be submitted in writing to the appropriate military service branch division of the NPRC. Standard form (SF 180), available through the VA, is recommended to submit your request. Generally, there is no charge for medal or award replacements. For more information, or for the mailing address of the military branch office to submit your request to, call 1-86-NARA-NARA (1-866-272-6272) or visit the NPRC website at